Novak Djokovic defeated Nick Kyrgios the men’s Wimbledon final on Sunday afternoon but the Serbian will drop down the rankings even despite winning a fourth straight showpiece match on Centre Court. Despite winning three of the last six Grand Slams, Djokovic is ranked No 3 in the world and will drop to a four-year low of No 7 after beating Kyrgios at SW19.
That’s as a result of the ATP punishment the governing body have inflicted don Wimbledon for banning Russian and Belarusian players from competing. Ranking points have been removed from the tournament and as such Djokovic will drop the 2,000 points he gained for winning at the All England Club in 2021.
Djokovic has not been outside of the top six since August 2018 but falls below Stefanos Tsitsipas, Caspar Ruud and Carlos Alcaraz although none of the trio got past the round of 16 at Wimbledon. But he won’t care too much as the Serbian got his hands on his 21st Grand Slam on Sunday with a four-set triumph.
This year’s Wimbledon also served as Sue Barker’s last for the BBC after over 30 years presenting their coverage of the grass-court Grand Slam. Tributes poured in for the much-loved broadcaster and ex-tennis player as she did her final show for the Beeb.
Djokovic set for Australian Open return?
Novak Djokovic could play at the next edition of the Australian Open despite the Serb having been banned from entering the country for another three years, according to the Daily Mail.
The newly-crowned Wimbledon champion is currently unable to travel to Australia after he was unceremoniously deported from Melbourne over his vaccination status on the eve of this year’s tournament.
However, Australian tennis chiefs are reportedly confident that he will be able to resume his pursuit of Grand Slam titles in Melbourne at the very next opportunity.
This is because their new prime minister, Anthony Albanese, is a huge tennis fan and is expected to take a more sympathetic view of the Djokovic case than his predecessors.
Nadal’s kind words for Djokovic
Rafael Nadal has taken to Instagram to congratulate Novak Djokovic on his latest Wimbledon triumph with a classy message.
“Wow! Great moment! Enjoy it and many congrats,” said the Spaniard, who was among the pre-tournament favourites to win the men’s singles event in SW19 after clinching the Australian Open and the French Open earlier this year.
He was ultimately forced to withdraw with a troublesome abdominal injury, though, in a move that allowed Wimbledon runner-up Nick Kyrgios to move straight into his first Grand Slam final.
Kyrgios parties in London nightclub
Nick Kyrgios decided to let off some steam in a London nightclub after his defeat in the Wimbledon final on Sunday afternoon.
The 27-year-old was spotted at the well-known Wyld establishment, with his group leaving at around 3am on Monday morning.
The venue’s official Instagram account posted a picture of Kyrgios holding a bottle with the caption: “King Nick Kyrgios is in the building.”
He did not have a victory to celebrate, though, after losing a thrilling final at the hands of Novak Djokovic in four sets on Centre Court.
Federer drops major retirement hint
Roger Federer has suggested that he would be happy living life away from tennis after missing Wimbledon for the first time since his maiden appearance in 1999.
“I am a winner lover but, if you’re not competitive anymore, then it’s better to stop,” Federer, who remains sidelined with a long-term knee injury, told Dutch newspaper Algemeen Dagblad.
“I don’t think I need the tennis. I am happy with the little things, like when my son does something right and when my daughter comes home with a good grade.
“Tennis is part of, but not my entire identity. I want to be and remain successful and put a lot of energy into business, probably give more than I should sometimes.
“But that can also be done outside of sports. I know a professional career can’t last forever and that’s okay.”