BoxingHeadlinesLatest NewsSport

‘I’ll sign the contract today’: Tyson Fury DOUBLES DOWN on his claim he will come out of retirement to fight Anthony Joshua for free, despite previously demanding £500m to return

Tyson Fury has doubled down on his claim that he will come out of retirement to fight British rival Anthony Joshua for free, insisting he is ready to sign a contract today.

The Gypsy King, who still holds the WBC belt despite his claims of retirement, initially made the statement earlier in July, having previously insisted it would take a fee of £500million to get him back in the ring.

Fury announced his retirement after stopping Dillian Whyte in emphatic fashion at Wembley Stadium in April, but the 33-year-old has since discussed the possibility of fighting both Joshua and Oleksandr Usyk, who square off on August 20 in Saudi Arabia.

The former Ryder Cup captain says LIV Golf is bad for the sport

The Gypsy King this time gave no desired location, while seemingly stating he wants the fight regardless of the impending result, as he outlined his requirements once more.

‘This is a reconfirmation of what I’ve said about fighting Anthony Joshua for f*** all in England,’ Fury posted across social media. ‘That’s how the fight happens, I’ll sign the contract today.

‘The fight’s got to be for free, free-to-air television and all tickets go for free. No money is to be made out of this British, historic fight if it happens.

‘There’s the terms, I’m in the driving seat, take it or f-ing leave it. The ball is in your court, guys, take it or leave it, either way, I don’t give a damn, there’s the offer, peace out.’

Fury knocked out Dillian Whyte in the sixth round of their Wembley Stadium clash in April
Fury subsequently stated he is retired from boxing, though since backtracking on that stance

Though it’s Joshua who Fury is clearly targeting, there will be a clamour for the Gypsy King to fight Usyk for the undisputed heavyweight championship if the Ukrainian wins once more.

Usyk strolled to a unanimous decision victory at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in their first bout last September to claim Joshua’s WBA, WBO and IBF titles.

Fury can now afford to keep his options open with WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman insisting the heavyweight won’t be rushed into making a decision on his future.

His latest comments come after Matchroom promoter Eddie Hearn rubbished Fury’s talk of fighting Joshua for free, insisting the Gypsy King would only return to the ring for ‘a bucket-load of money’.

Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn insists Fury would only return for a ‘bucket-load’ of money

‘I can definitely see Tyson Fury fighting [for free],’ Hearn joked on The DAZN Boxing Show. ‘He’s a genius, Tyson Fury, because no-one ever questions what he says.

‘On one hand he’s just said that you’ve got to pay him £500m, then the next sentence he says he’ll fight AJ for free on non-pay-per-view with all the attendance going elsewhere. The only way that Tyson Fury is going to fight again is for a bucket-load of money.
‘Tyson Fury will go to Timbuktu or Mars for a bucket-load of money, so it doesn’t really matter what he says about free tickets and stuff like that.

‘That’s all great stuff that a man who doesn’t quite have the mind to be able to say “what is this guy talking about?” Go “that is amazing, Tyson Fury wants to fight for free, what a guy.”‘

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Back to top button