LAS VEGAS — Combat sports megastars Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor are reportedly in talks about a second fight but are at loggerheads over the ruleset for the prospective bout.
The fighters competed in a landmark, crossover bout in 2017 — one in which Mayweather stopped the former two-weight UFC champ McGregor on his feet in the 10th round of a boxing-rules contest.
The event, which took place at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, was a runaway success as McGregor reportedly banked approximately $100 million, while Mayweather took home $200 million.
“He’s a lot better than I thought he’d be,” Mayweather said at the time. “He’s a tough competitor, but I was the better man tonight.”
Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather.
Five years later, they are set to do it again, according to reports in the Daily Mail, The Sun, and The Mirror. The rematch could generate $155 million.
Those reports indicate that discussions are underway, but there is an argument about what the fight would look like.
Though Mayweather retired shortly after finishing McGregor, the boxing Hall of Famer has continued to step into the ring in exhibition bouts.
The Sun reports that McGregor is uninterested in this kind of affair and would only fight Mayweather if the American icon put his professional record on the line. McGregor is also adamant that the fight be competed at 155-pounds, which is the lightweight limit in MMA, and one pound higher than the super welterweight limit in boxing.
McGregor also wants the bout to last 10 rounds, according to The Sun.
These reports follow news last month from digital boxing publication Fight Hype, which has a close relationship with Mayweather.
It tweeted in June that the two fighters “are currently in talks for a potential rematch.”
Shortly after, McGregor posted a photograph from his fight with Mayweather all those years ago, alongside a caption that read: “I accept.”
The Instagram post, however, appears to have since been removed from the platform.
At a Dana White Contender Series event Tuesday at the UFC Apex in Las Vegas, White called the McGregor-Mayweather rematch rumors “bullshit.”
He said: “Those guys are just talking on social media like they do. The Daily Mirror, or whatever the hell that tabloid is called, is full of the shit.”
When asked what it would take for him to get personally involved in the conversation surrounding a Mayweather vs. McGregor 2 promotion, White quipped: “Dementia,” before laughing.
McGregor, meanwhile, returned to full MMA training earlier this month and his head coach John Kavanagh said the Irishman is “looking great” in camp.
Mayweather was inducted into boxing’s Hall of Fame earlier this year and has been having fun taking part in exhibitions — something he will reportedly continue to do, regardless of whether the McGregor rematch materializes, or not.